NECCA’s mission demands that we place diversity and inclusion at the forefront of our work. As we examine the American culture in which NECCA and American circus have developed, we recognize that the culture has not been one of equity. Specifically, American culture has long privileged certain groups and disadvantaged others. Without active evaluation, identification, and remedy, these structural imbalances will remain in place.
Therefore, the NECCA Board commits to creating and empowering a Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Taskforce that will report to and be supported by the Board Governance Committee. The Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Task Force will include students, staff, board members and other necessary stakeholders, as identified by the Task Force and approved by the Board.
The work of the Task Force will include:
- Identifying education necessary to the NECCA community
- Creating a workplan for NECCA to use to (1) examine potentially discriminatory practices; (2) propose policy change to improve practices; and (3) evaluate whether remedial steps to repair harm are necessary.
- Determining the need for, and recommending to the Board outside resources or consultants to support NECCA in this work.
- Identifying community partners in the local, regional, national, and international circus communities who can collaborate to support mutual goals.
- Providing quarterly (at minimum) reports to the Board Governance Committee and an annual report to the Board of Directors.
The Responsibility of the Board of Directors shall be:
- To integrate the work of the Diversity Equity and Inclusion Task Force into the Strategic Plan, and support the Executive Director in developing processes to ensure that all work at NECCA is conducted through the lens of equity.
- To make ultimate determinations, in consultation with the Executive Director regarding NECCA’s priorities, where competing interests must be balanced, with an eye toward the long-term sustainability of the institution.
If you would like to be involved in this initiative at NECCA, please contact us.